September is dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows. At the presentation of baby Jesus at the Temple, the prophet Simeon told Mary, "a sword will pierce through your own soul, that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed" (Luke 2:35).
Intimately and uniquely united with the sufferings of Jesus, Our Blessed Mother endured seven particular sorrows that pierced her Immacculate Heart. Our Lady invites us to meditate on these sorrows or dolors, and to unite our own sufferring with Christ for the redemption and salvation of souls.
The Seven Dolors of the Blessed Virgin Mary
According to a form approved by Pope Pius VII (1815)
V. O God, come to my assistance;
R. O Lord, make haste to help me
V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
1. The Prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:34-35)
I grieve for you, O Mary, most sorrowful, in the affliction of your tender heart at the prophecy of the holy and aged Simeon. Dear Mother, by your heart so afflicted, obtain for me the virtue of humility and the gift of the holy fear of God.
Hail Mary, full of grace...
2. The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-21)
I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the anguish of your most affectionate heart during the flight into Egypt and your sojourn there. Dear Mother, by your heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of generosity, especially toward the poor, and the gift of piety.
3. The Loss of Jesus for Three Days (Luke 2:41-50)
I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in those anxieties which tried your troubled heart at the lost of your dear Jesus. Dear Mother, by your heart so full of anguish, obtain for me the virtue of chastity and the gift of knowledge.
4. The Carrying of the Cross (John 19:17)
I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the consternation of your heart at meeting Jesus as He carried His cross. Dear Mother, by your heart so troubled, obtain for me the virtue of patience and the gift of fortitude.
5. The Crucifixion of Jesus (John 19:18-30)
I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the martyrdom which your generous heart endured in standing near Jesus in His agony. Dear Mother, by your afflicted heart, obtain for me the virtue of temperance and the gift of counsel.
6. Jesus Taken Down from the Cross (John 19:39-40)
I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, in the wounding of your compassionate heart, when the side of Jesus was struck by the lance before His Body was removed from the cross. Dear Mother, by your heart thus transfixed, obtain for me the virtue of fraternal charity and the gift of understanding.
7. Jesus Laid in the Tomb (John 19:39-42)
I grieve for you, O Mary most sorrowful, for the pangs that wrenched your most loving heart at the burial of Jesus. Dear Mother, by your heart sunk in the bitterness of desolation, obtain for me the virtue of diligence and the gift of wisdom.
Let Us Pray: Let intercession be made for us, we beseech You, O Lord Jesus Christ, now and at the Hour of our death, before the throne of Your mercy, by the Blessed Virgin Mary, Your Mother, whose most holy soul was pierced by a sword of sorrow in the hour of Your bitter Passion. Through You, O Jesus Christ, Savior of the world, Who with the Father and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns world without end. Amen.
The Virgin Mary also presented her own promises to St. Bridget of Sweden for those who devote themselves to her sorrowful heart.
1. I will grant peace to their families.
2. They will be enlightened about the Divine Mysteries.
3. I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of My divine Son or the sanctification of their souls.
5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death — they will see the face of their Mother.
7. I have obtained this grace from My divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to My tears and sorrows will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness, since all their sins will be forgiven and My Son will be their eternal consolation and joy.
Our Lady of Sorrows, pray for us!
Devotion cards for the Seven Sorrows of Mary are available for free at the store thanks to the Lavretta Family.